How to Add Social Media Icons to a WordPress Header – 2011 Theme
I can’t believe it’s been a year since I posted How to Add Social Media Icons to a WordPress Header using the 2010 theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ihqEKHMHc. I thought it was about time to create an updated version for the WordPress 2011 theme. There are slight differences and a couple of added extra steps, but overall it is the same process as last year:
*****WARNING: This process does edit the parent theme. If there are subsequent theme or WordPress updates, the code changes might be erased. *****
1. Edit header image width and height in functions.php
2. Remove Search box from header.php
3. Add the div id with the social media images and links to header.php
4. Add css for the div and images to style.css
5. Use an image under header settings that match the height and width in functions.php
6. Remove site title and description from general settings
7. Remove the padding and line height from site and title descriptions
8. Add padding to header image and social media icons as desired
Yes – I do use Chrome and what you are looking at is the Inspect Element function, this helps me look at the code and troubleshoot any issues.
WARNING: This process does edit the parent theme. If there are subsequent theme updates, the code changes might be erased.
Google +: http://bit.ly/YJTBob
See ya in the next video!